Any medications (prescription or over the counter), that are ordered PRN, (as needed), must be clarified by a Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, a Pharmacist or an RN in writing. You are unable to give any medications that fall under this category until you have a written doctor’s order and a PRN parameter in your home. It is required to be rewritten, when any portion of the medical order is changed.
You may attempt to get this from the ordering physician or pharmacist on your own. I can complete these without making a visit and I charge $35.00/hr. We can work through email or fax. If I am making a visit for something else already, then it falls within that time range and fee range.
PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THAT I HAVE AGREED TO THIS SERVICE, UNTIL A FORMAL AGREEMENT IS MADE. I WILL GIVE YOU MY FAX NUMBER AT THAT TIME.
If you want me to complete it for you then you provide me with a copy of a written order and send me all of the the following information: (you may use a copy of your MAR, as long as the prns are marked, and all following information is included)
- business name (your Care Home name)
- business address, phone and fax
- operator or resident manager name
- resident name
- date of birth
- ordering physician or Nurse Practitioner name
- Doctor or NP phone and fax (in case I have to get clarification)
- medication name
- dosage (ie: mg/tab)
- amount to take (how many tabs)
- how often
1. what symptoms or behaviors need to be present to give med
2. specifically where and what type of pain
3. anxiety or behaviors (define what this looks like)
4. what other measures have been tried first
5. example: “redirection” – (explain what this means)
You MUST have this information before PRN parameter can be completed. I may call you for more information as I need it. If the prescriber has written the med in a way that is not accepted by the DHS, then I can contact them for clarification.